Today we’ll be looking at how to relieve an employee of their duties gracefully.
There are various reasons why an employee may be let go. These include:
* Serious misconduct or willful disobedience by the employee of the lawful orders of his employer or representative in connection with his work
* Gross and habitual neglect by the employee of his/her duties
Fraud or willful breach by the employee of the trust reposed in him by his employer or duly authorized representative
* Commission of a crime or offense by the employee against the person of his employer or any immediate member of his family or his duly authorized representative
* Corporate restructuring of the company across board, which necessitates a downsizing of it’s workforce
* Other related cases
How To Relieve An Employee Gracefully
1. Observe all legal procedures otherwise the employee may seek redress.
2. There must have been a build up to the termination, such as notice of downsizing, warnings, queries, and suspensions, recorded in the employee’s file prior to the termination of employment.
3. In the case of mass termination of employment, each employee must be individually notified of his/her termination by HR, then call a meeting with affected employees present to make the announcement, but do this with ample notice, usually 8-16 weeks, sent to each individual employee.
4. A proper plan requires you to have people in mind to replace the terminated workers, or to distribute the terminated employee’s duties to other employees.
5. Be diplomatic, but avoid unnecessary details when addressing the employees both individually and as a group. State clearly why this is a necessary step for the company and bid them farewell in their future endeavors.
6. Adhere to the terms of the employment contract such as severance pay, notice or payment in lieu of notice and so on.
7. Restrict access to the company portal by changing password and usernames, ensure that all property belonging to the company are returned in full. Carry out an audit through department heads.